Saturday, July 20, 2013

Meeting New People is Easy

So one big question I had when planning my study abroad experience was "where will I be staying?" Before I got here I knew I would be staying in one of the student housing areas but I didn't know which one. When I got here, I found out that it would be in the complex called Alexander Flemming located in Hoxton Market in the Shoreditch area.

As it turns out, I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay. First of all, the area around me is great. It's only a couple of tube stops away from my classes and any major attraction with in city (as well as many of the major overground stations for access to areas outside of the city). Another great thing about this area is that there is plenty to do and see right where I am at; there are Victorian Squares, street art (by artists such as Stik and Roa and even a Banksy), as well as shopping and many other things to see and do within walking distance.

Stik

Roa

Banksy

The flat I'm staying in is also pretty nice. It's flat (or apartment) style housing. There is one street entrance to each 3 or 4 flats and each flat is on it's own floor. Within each flat there is 6 individual bedrooms (I live with 2 other girls from my program and 3 people from another study abroad program), 2 bathrooms, and a kitchen with full appliances (so I can cook instead of eat out all the time which is expensive here).

The living arrangement makes it really easy to meet other people (both from my study abroad programs as well as others participating in the University of Westminster Summer Program). Within my building alone there are 24 people and over the past 2 weeks I have gotten to know the majority of them fairly well. After classes we usually have plans to go sight-seeing or to do some other activity to fill the day.

However, that isn't the only way that I have meet other people here. I have also had the chance to get to know other people (who live in other student housing complexes or elsewhere) through class (doing group work). There is also a social program through the University of Westminster that my study abroad program enrolled me in. Through this program we to things such as walking tours (around the city) and we've done a weekend trip to York and a day trip to Oxford. During each trip, though people from my flat building and class have been on it, there were still more people which I got to meet.

Group Shot on the London Eye (through the Social Program)

No comments:

Post a Comment