Monday, July 1, 2013

The Adventure Begins

I figured, since I am sitting here, packing my bag for my trip across the pond, it might be a good idea to kick-start this blog. Though this is approximately the 4th time that I have completely packed my bags, I am still anxious that I am forgetting something despite having all of the items marked off of my handy-dandy check list.

I am extremely excited to go on this study abroad trip. Going to London has always been a dream of mine. That's the main reason why I chose the location. I chose to study abroad in the first place based on advice given by the Carlow University Global Learning office. During my first year, at a meeting I attended hosted by the office, they stresses how much easier it is to travel abroad as a student. After traveling to Ireland last summer with the Carlow University Theater Group, I decided to heed the advice given by the Global Learning Office and go abroad again.

I do not hope to be drastically changed by this experience, but I do hope to gain friends from both abroad and other areas of the United States. I hope that my view of London and the U.K. dose not change too much while I am there, though I do expect it to change some (though for better or worse, I do not know yet).

While I am abroad I hope to learn more about British culture, and more importantly history (since that is the type of course I am taking). In addition, I hope to visit many of the historical and/or famous sites such as the Tower of London, the London Eye, and Westminster Abbey. I want to absorb as much of the culture as possible while still earning an acceptable grade in the course I am taking (Did I mention it's called Jack the Ripper's London. Yeah, I'm excited).

To fulfill these goals, I already have list of attractions that I wish to see, as well as walking tours I hope to go on. Though I do not have a set itinerary, I do hope I have the chance to make it to most of what I want to see. This should not be a major problem though, because I have extended my trip for an extra 4 days so I have extra time to fit everything it. As for the course, I have been receiving email updates from the University I will attend and the course does not seem to be very difficult (though to ensure that I don't fail, I will try to avoid that mentality while I am actually taking the course).

I am a bit nervous about the end of my trip. I am staying 4 extra days in London, by myself! However, I hope that by the time the program session ends, I am familiar enough with the city to feel comfortable. Perhaps I am also a bit nervous about the jet lag. The past week has been hectic and action filled and the next few days before I board my plane will be the same.

There is no particular thing I am looking forward to the most. Right now I am just excited to be going. It still seems a bit surreal that I am actually going to be spending almost a month in a city that I have wanted to visit since I was a young child.

TTFN (Ta-ta for now). I will post again a few days into my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment